The brilliant, talented, funny and smart MUA Kay Montano has a must read blog http://www.kaymontano.com/2012/01/27/why-fake-your-lashes-when-you-can-grow-them-nadine-baggott/ and I have contributed an article on lash growth serums in case your lashes are in need of a little love
Man Make-Up At This Morning
Yesterday I roped four slightly unsuspecting men in to a make-up item on This Morning. Paul, James, Gary and Dan were a touch nervous about applying make-up live on air and, despite the fact that they had volunteered for the programme, were all laughing nervously when told they would have to wear eyeliner, mascara, bronzer and even lipstick.
I don’t get it really. As a woman who came of age in the era of Duran Duran, Adam Ant, Japan and Human League, I have always considered men in make-up to be very sexy. Ask any woman my age who was a teenager in London in the early Eighties and you would be hard pushed to find one who did not have a serious crush on Phil Oakey, David Sylvian or Green from Scritti Politti. And we all secretly wanted to be as good at applying our make-up as Steve Strange on parade at The Camden Palace.
Anyway enough of the trip down memory lane. Back to This Morning, where we tested
- Clinique Non Streak Gel Bronzer £13, which looks super scary when it emerges from the tube, but actually rubs in really easily to give a fool proof temporary tan.
- Jean Paul Gaultier Tout Beau Kohl Pencil £27, an ingenious double ended eyeliner and concealer that looks like a pen just in case you’re caught at your desk touching up your make-up.
- Clinique M Cover Concealer £11.50, which did a great job of covering under eye circles and spots.
- Jean Paul Gaultier Le Make Sharp Eyes Brow and Lash Groomer £15, a gentle tinted mascara and brow gel that made Gary’s lashes look amazing.
- Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male Sneaky Kiss £12, a bronze lip colour that perhaps was one step too far for my ‘blokes’.
- Guerlain Terracotta Pour Homme £34, a genius bronzing powder that is idiot proof and gave a great colour and which I would readily recommend for women too.
- 4V00 Luminous Lips £23, from www.hqhair.com a clear lips gloss that Fern thought made Dan’s lips look luscious.
Every product gave a subtle before and after, which is what most men want. I even loved the eyeliner as it made James look very Good Charlotte. But I have to say that my men were not convinced. Despite the fact that sales of men’s cosmetics are now at an all time high and that there is a demand for men’s make-up, men under thirty – and women that age too – are still far from convinced that men wearing look good. ‘Oh except Johnny Depp in Pirates Of The Caribbean,’ explained my niece. I think they all need to loosen up a little.